February 8, 2017
Winter Storm Niko – Update #2
The National Weather Service has upgraded our area to a Winter Storm Warning beginning tonight at midnight through Thursday at 4:00pm. Snow accumulation is expected to be from 6-10 inches. At times the snow will make roads virtually impassable and travel extremely dangerous. Power outages and downed power lines are possible. We ask that you stay off the roads and allow safe passage for snow removal equipment, police and first responders.
Please prepare by ensuring that you have medications, baby supplies, water, fill your car’s gas tank, replace flashlight batteries and keep all electronics fully charged. Make note of important numbers that can be found in the center of the Township recycling calendar mailed to your home, on my email sent yesterday and linked at the bottom of this letter.
Assuming the current storm track does not change, please note the Township’s plan for snow removal:
- The Department of Public Works (DPW) is currently pre-treating Township roads.
- It takes DPW and contractors approximately 10 hours to clear a 4” snowfall. More snow takes proportionally more time.
- Main roadways and collector streets (development main roads) will be cleared first. Therefore, it is very likely you will not see a plow in your neighborhood until after the snow stops.
- Assuming the timing of this storm remains as currently forecast, residents can expect that their streets will be plowed and passable by rush hour Friday morning.
- If by Friday morning, you feel your street needs attention, please email DPW at or call 732-536-0188.
Please note snow removal guidelines:
- By Ordinance, all cars, basketball hoops, etc. must be removed from the street when the roads are snow covered.
- We remind you that the OEM has SUSPENDED ALL CURBSIDE BRUSH PICKUP. There should be no brush or other lawn debris curbside until further notice. For details, please see the letter from Acting OEM Director Lt. Cherbini HERE.
- It is suggested that you wait to clean the bottom of your driveway until DPW has made at least one pass. This will prevent the plow from depositing as much snow at the end of your driveway.
At this time, we announce the following cancellations and postponements:
- Zone 3 recycling pickup is cancelled for Thursday. Zone 3 only will have a makeup date on Saturday, February 11. Please have recycling curbside by 7am on Saturday.
- Please check with your garbage company for trash pickup cancellations.
- The Teen Advisory Meeting scheduled for Thursday night has been postponed until March 23.
- Marlboro Municipal Court scheduled for Thursday has been cancelled. If you were scheduled, you will be contacted by the Court with a new date. For more, call 732-536-0300.
- The School districts (Marlboro K-8 and FRHSD) will announce school closings. Please check their website and news outlets for updates.
The Marlboro Office of Emergency Management (OEM) as well as my office will continue to monitor the forecast. As always, the Marlboro Police Department is available 24 hours a day at (732) 536-0100. For emergencies, please do not hesitate to call 9-1-1. Please note that in case of emergency, the first responders are fully equipped to get to you.
We will continue to update the public through email, reverse 9-1-1 and social media, as necessary. Please see the link below to my email sent yesterday for important contact numbers. Thank you in advance for your cooperation and assistance. Stay safe!
Mayor Jon Hornik